November 7, 2010

I FANCY THE WORLD

“Apart from school, the best way to learn about the world is through travel”
-Drew Barrymore to David Letterman, 2010



There are 7 continents in this world and I will make it a lifelong goal to set foot in each one. If that entails dragging myself to continue riding planes  while praying to God for the will to stop myself from strangling the little one who is banging at my seat’s rear (when trying to get through hours-long travel time), then so be it.  The objective is always to reach another place unscathed and mentally sane.

I have gotten lost in big cities. I have missed train stops. I have eaten good food, and the not-so-good local delicacies. I have spent nights in 5-star hotels, airport hotels, travel inns, bus rides through cities and even an airport McDonald’s.  I have been through the pains of carrying heavy luggage through several metro interchanges and have become appreciative of the convenience of sporting backpacks instead. But then, the usual hassles are small prices to pay for the rewards of experience, culture and a new take on history. 

I love the feeling of being in a place completely foreign to me.  Possibilities become boundless and our boundaries are pushed further. There is so much to discover, to taste and to feel.  Everything becomes enriching because our understanding of the world deepens.  As we stop seeing the world from the picture books, our travels become personal and the rest of the world more experiential.

There are lessons meant to be taught by the World. Let us not limit. :) 



1 comment:

  1. some lessons are meant to be taught only by the world. saigon, siam, korea, nyc on my hitlist next year. then kathmandu, india, and london while staying in singapore in 2012 and 2013. lebanon and berlin when there is more world peace. brazil for the next olympics. the whole europe when i can afford it. and the holy land of jesus before i can barely walk because ive gotten too old.

    ReplyDelete